For the last few years Star Wars Weekends have brought some pretty nice new Star Wars themed Disney merchandise, or is that Disney themed Star Wars merchandise? Well, I guess it depends on your perspective. But I digress. For many, chief among these were the… Read More »New Star Wars Big-Figs Revealed
It’s Friday morning and time to close some of my open tabs by passing those links along in what is perhaps a more brusque fashion than the topics really deserve. My apologies in advance.
- A woman who missed her journey on the Titanic celebrates her 100th birthday in style at Disneyland. Great feel good story.
- Gardenwalk, the formerly vaperware mall that finally opened adjacent to Disneyland last year, is having mixed results for its tenants. Frankly, they’re lucky any guests are coming in this economy.
- Disney Channel rolled out Disney XD this week and Amy Quinn, who calls herself Citizen Mom, takes on Disney’s attempt to market to boys, her boy in particular.
- IDEAS a design and marketing studio, previously located in the backlot offices of Disney’s Hollywood Studios, has moved to new digs in downtown Orlando.
- The Orlando Sentinel reports that Disney and other theme parks continue to spend money lobbying the government for various projects even while they’re cutting back on other expenses.
- KryptonLogic.com believes in the rumors that Star Tours 2.0 is coming soon, or at least a formal announcement of it’s eventual installment is. May 2010 is the expected date. Also remember Star Wars Weekends is coming beginning in the last two weekends of May this year. A great place to make the announcement if you ask me.
- I’ve updated my list of ‘Dream Ticket’ winners from Disney’s American Idol Experience attraction. Still a few holes to plug, but I’m getting more names. Thanks for your help in continuing to provide the names of the winners. Photos or confirmation to help verify winners names are also appreciated.
- I particularly enjoyed this description of the American Idol Experience Premiere weekend by Billboard Magazines ‘Jaded Insider’ blog.
Finally, below the cut meet TOFU. He’s a robot that emulates the ‘squash and squat’ techniques of Disney animation developed by students at MIT. I hope someone from Imagineering already has this inventor on the phone.
The dates for Star Wars Weekends have been announced for 2009. In a move that should make fans of the event happy, the dates for the first weekends have been moved back into May. It’s often less hot and less crowded (school is still in… Read More »Star Wars Weekends 2009 Dates Announced
LaughingPlace.com, which is known for being conservative when announcing rumor confirmations, has just confirmed that Star Tours 2.0 will be coming to Disneyland and Disney’s Hollywood Studios, other parks with the attraction have not yet signed on. I take this as a near certainty now… Read More »LaughingPlace.com confirms Star Tours 2.0 (and Soarin’!)
Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you “Darth Mater” a one of a kind Star Wars and Cars Die Cast Mashup from Pixar, Lucasfilm, and Mattel. Tell me you don’t want this now. Alright, everyone put your pocket books down for a minute. There’s only one… Read More »Darth Mater Strikes Back – Die Cast Tow Mater Star Wars Mashup
- LA Times blogger Brady MacDonald matched wits with Pixar’s John Lasseter on California Adventure’s Toy Story Midway Mania attraction. Guess who won?
- Jason S. gets a little morbid and digs up stories on some of the earliest deaths associated with Disneyland. None, the fault of the park, as far as he can tell.
- The official Star Wars blog (how does one get that gig, btw?) has pictures from last weekends Star Wars Weekends event including a picture of the walk-around Ashoka Tano character from The Clone Wars movie.
- Three interesting stories from the business section of the Orlando Sentinel. Apparently the Narnia: Prince Caspian walk-through exhibit will open by the end of the month. The Orlando International Airport won’t be opening any new theme park shops. The Nickelodeon hotel adds another attraction, this time a 4-D movie. Not sure that will be as big an attraction as the great pool area there, but it’s an idea.
You may remember that Disney and NASA sent Buzz Lightyear into space for long visit to the Space Station. I hope that he doesn’t suffer any ill effects from the zero gravity. But he did sent back a video showing him living large in space, you can view it below the cut.
If you do make it to Orlando for one of the 2008 Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Hollywood Studios make sure you stick around until the end of the day for the spoof-tastic Dance Off show. (Check below the cut for the embedded video of this year’s “Dancing With The Star Wars Stars” show.)
If you aren’t able to make it to Orlando you can check in on each weekend’s action with the new Official Star Wars Weekend Podcast. This last weekends guests were the two Boba Fetts.
Not that you need another excuse to visit Star Wars Weekends, but Studios Central has an update on a new guest speaker and an exciting opportunity to see an exclusive clip of the upcoming animated Star Wars film, “The Clone Wars”. Steve Sansweet, head of… Read More »Steve Sansweet to be at Star Wars Weekends, Preview The Clone Wars