“Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway” is scheduled to open Jan 27 at Disneyland, and Disney Parks has offered up some sneak peek photos of its unique queue and more.
Disney Imagineers have designed the queue of this new attraction to be a treasure trove of references to Disney history.
Even the entrance for the El CapiTOON Theater is different, since it was built for this location of the attraction, and not adapted from a previous ride (looking at you Walt Disney World).
Once inside, Guests will be able to spend their wait with a selection of memorabilia and whimsical decor.
Here is the “Mickey Through the Ears” exhibit (curated by Minnie Mouse and the Toontown Hysterical Society) celebrating all things Mickey:
It’s not a theater without concessions:
Films That Should Get Made
There are also some fun mock film posters paying homage to various Disney characters and films – which one(s) would you watch?
The queue is also loaded with various nods to Disney history in the form of Easter Eggs.
For instance, the posters in the foyer include rarely seen Disney characters including Mortimer Mouse, Mickey’s nephews, Minnie’s nieces, and Max’s classmates from “A Goofy Movie”
Here are a few more to look out for:
- A newspaper headline that says “Oswald Wins!” is a reference to Oswald the Lucky Rabbit
- The 1401 Flower Shop is a nod to Walt Disney Imagineering’s Glendale headquarters
- The numbers 1901 and 1928 can also be found and are references to Walt’s and Mickey’s birth years…see the above photos to spot one of those numbers
- The “Iwerks and Uwerks Waterworks water treatment plant” is named for Disney Legend Ub Iwerks
- A poster references “5 for a Dime” in the carnival scene, and is a nod to the Five & Dime Shop that used to be in Mickey’s Toontown
- There are a couple of references in the El CapiTOON Theater’s concession stand, including popcorn shaped like Mickey, Minnie, and Donald, along with candy named after Disney cartoons such as Silly Symphony “The Grasshopper and the Ants” and “A Goofy Movie”
- The concession stand also features condiments branded with “Begorra Orchards,” which is a reference to Patrick Begorra, known as the “Little man of Disneyland” in the 1955 Little GOlden Book, who once lived in an orange orchard on the land that Disneyland now occupies
The Virtual Queue
Before you can enter the attraction’s actual queue, you need to register for the virtual queue.
To experience “Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway” at Disneyland, Guests will be required to join the complimentary virtual queue, which is accessible only via the Disneyland app.
The virtual queue enrollment times will be twice daily, at 7am and 1pm PT. There will be no standby queue on opening day.
Guests may also get quicker entry to this attraction with the purchase of an individual Lightning Lane arrival window, subject to availability.
The opening of “Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway” coincides with the kick-off of the “Disney 100” celebration at Disneyland on January 27, and Disney Parks will be livestreaming opening day starting at 2pm PT.