This week it will have been 55 years since the Disneyland gates first opened. Fifty-five years of being a place of “joy and inspiration to all the world”. Here’s what’s in store for the week leading up to the park’s anniversary on July 17.
- Special edition park maps will be available all week.
- Now through July 17, select Disneyland dining locations offer commemorative 55th Anniversary cakes.
- Select merchandise locations will offer 55th Anniversary candy packaging and cupcakes with the 55th Anniversary logo.
- On July 17 …
– At noon the dedication ceremony will take place in Town Square.
– At 4:15 pm join the cast in singing Happy Birthday to our beloved Disneyland.
– Check out the 55th Anniversary Art & Collectible merchandise event with artists Dave Avanzino, Jody Daily, Kevin Kidney and Noah will be held at The Disney Gallery from 9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
– Look for a special event taking place at Disney Vault 28 from 2 – 4 pm.
– Wear a smile from “ear to ear” with a special Mickey Mouse Ear Hat featuring premium embroidery that reads “D 55th,” July 17, 2010, available exclusively on July 17.
This is pretty much in line with what Disney has been doing recently for its theme park Birthdays. I do miss when they used to give free birthday cake on the actual birthday. That was a nice touch, with local hospitals benefiting from the left over cake after the event.