In the newest Disney+ series, “Among the Stars,” viewers follow NASA astronaut Captain Chris Cassidy and his crew of specialists for his last mission.
Debuting with all episodes today, October 6, the docuseries, produced by Fulwell 73, uses intimate footage, personal video diaries and livestream footage to tell the story.
Following the successes and failures over the course of two years, “Among the Stars” provides behind-the-scenes access to the critically important NASA mission of repairing a $2 billion science experiment, the Alpha Magnetic Spectrometer (AMS), which aims to reveal the origins of the universe.
To repair the AMS, former Navy Seal Captain Cassidy and his team must undertake a series of complex spacewalks, but the story quickly becomes a tale about the broader team at NASA, their roles on this daring mission, and the collective quest to succeed.
The series introduces viewers to astronauts and engineers from around the world, including:
- Captain Cassidy’s partner astronaut, Luca Parmitano from the European Space Agency;
- Drew Morgan, a rookie NASA astronaut who gets the chance of a lifetime to repair the AMS;
- Emily Nelson, AMS flight director and the 10th female flight director at NASA;
- Heather Bergman, AMS spacewalk tools manager at NASA who leads a team dedicated to creating spacewalk tools;
- professor Samuel Ting, Nobel Prize winner for discovering the J/Psi meson subatomic particle and AMS Inventor;
- and Ken Bollweg, AMS project manager who has worked hand-in-hand with professor Ting on the AMS experiment from its inception 25 years ago.
As the episodes progress, viewers are given a first look at the critically important team of engineers, flight controllers and specialists who take on these dangerous and awe-inspiring space missions.
“Among the Stars” was filmed with different space agencies across the globe, including NASA’s Johnson Space Center in Houston, the European Space Agency in Cologne, the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency outside of Tokyo, and the Russian Space Agency in Star City.
Ben Turner directs and executive produces for Fulwell 73.
Here’s a first look trailer for “Among the Stars”:
Any fellow space nerds out there excited to watch this series? I’ve been fascinated with outer space and astronauts since I was a kid. Let me know if you feel the same in comments!