Congratulations to the little studios park that could. You’re getting your big park ears this year when Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opens. It only took a little over 30 years, but here we are. The park will celebrate its actual 30th anniversary on May 1, 2019 as it evolves into a destination with thrills and adventures you can explore.
Disney has made a few announcements about what guests who join in the anniversary celebration can expect to find in the park on May 1:
- When you enter the park be sure to pick up a 30th anniversary commemorative guide map and button.
- The park will celebrate with a ‘star studded’ celebration cavalcade starting Mickey Mouse and his pals at 10AM on Hollywood Blvd. (Ah, we miss the parades at Disney-MGM Studios.)
- Of course there will be exclusive 30th anniversary merchandise including a new adult T-shirt, baseball cap, Tervis 24-oz tumbler, MagicBand, ornament and much more. Annual passholders can also shop for some items exclusively created for them. Merchandise can be found starting at 8 a.m. in Grand Park, while supplies last. (Please note: Merchandise will go on sale at 8 a.m., Disney’s Hollywood Studios opens at 9 a.m.).
- Foodies will find a slew of special anniversary food & beverage items available throughout the park, including Kylo Ren Cupcakes, Incredibles Macarons, Tres Leches Verrine and many more.
- The night will be capped with the debut of an all new nighttime projection show – Wonderful World of Animation. The facade of the Chinese Theatre is transformed into a stirring tribute to animation. The show features sequences celebrating themes like magic, family, adventure, romance and friendship. Each theme is brought to life through unforgettable moments from beloved films—like “Sleeping Beauty,” “The Incredibles,” “Coco” and many more. The show will debut at 9:05 p.m. ET, just prior to the park’s “Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular” fireworks show.
If that’s not enough for you, Disney has announced a special Disney After Hours event for May 1. Although it requires separate admission, you will experience very light crowds meaning little to no wait for your park favorites, including The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith, Toy Story Land attractions and more. Additionally, this special anniversary edition of Disney After Hours will feature some beloved Disney characters ready to greet guests in the Chinese Theatre Courtyard, at Star Wars Launch Bay and more. There will also be a special encore performance of “Wonderful World of Animation” taking place exclusively for event attendees.
A few years ago there was an announcement that there would be a name change coming to Disney’s Hollywood Studios that reflects the change of emphasis from the production of movies to living in them. But the company recently walked back that announcement. Like fans, perhaps they were unable to come up with a better name for the park. But who knows, the current theme still seems unfocused. It would be great if in the next 5 to 10 years Disney is able to do something about that.
What are your hopes for Disney’s Hollywood Studios over its next 30 years?