LEGO has a website called LEGO Ideas where enthusiasts can built and submit project ideas to other fans. If their project gets 10,000 votes then LEGO promises it will consider it to become an official LEGO kit. One of the projects that reached the magic milestone was a recreation of the iconic black and white 1928 big-screen debut of Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse – Steamboat Willie.
On a related note, Disney is celebrating the 90th anniversary of Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse this year and that project is the perfect way to celebrate. This project includes many of the details that made the original Walt Disney animated short so iconic.
The LEGO brick version of the S.S. Willie features steam pipes that move up and down and paddle wheels that rotate when the boat is pushed along. The boat’s bridge has room for a minifigure and play-inspiring nautical details such as the ship’s wheel, life buoy, and buildable bell.
On deck there is a working crane to lift the ‘potato bin’ cargo aboard and room for the new-for-April-2019 Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse minifigures, each looking like they stepped off the black-and-white screen, plus a parrot figure.
More details here:
- The iconic Steamboat Willie boat features a black-and-white color scheme, hidden wheels, moving steam pipes, rotating paddle wheels, adjustable crane and assorted elements including the ‘S.S. Willie’ boat name sign, ‘1928’ year sign and a ‘potato bin’.
- The boat’s bridge has space for a minifigure, a brick-built bell and assorted elements including the ship’s wheel and life buoy.
- The 2 steam pipes move up and down and the 2 paddle wheels rotate when the boat is pushed along.
- Accessory elements include Minnie Mouse’s guitar and music sheet.
- This LEGO Ideas creative toy building set comes with a booklet with building instructions, fun facts about the historic 1928 animated Disney short film ‘Steamboat Willie’, and information about this awesome retro set’s fan creator and LEGO designers.
- Steamboat Willie toy boat measures over 5” (15cm) high, 10” (26cm) long and 5” (14cm) wide.
Disney fans and LEGO fans, young and old, are going to love recreating scenes from the original Mickey Mouse cartoon whether for play or display. If you’re planning on making a purchase you’ll find it priced right around $90 depending on the store. Your first chance to purchase will come April 1, 2019 on the official LEGO store, in official LEGO stores (including those at Disney Springs and Downtown Disney), or via phone order.