We still have no word if Disney ever plans to bring back Star Wars weekends to Disney’s Hollywood Studios, but the answer is likely no. The latest evidence is a new separate ticketed event at the park that includes many of the experiences that used to be free with your day admission. The first ever Star Wars: Galactic Nights event is April 14th and we’ve just learned more details today.
One of the main events will be the “Inside the Saga: Celebrity chat show” which will be held multiple times throughout the night. The show will take your behind the scenes of Rogue One: A Star Wars story. Your host for the show was just announced as Vanessa Marshall, the voice of Hera Syndulla from Star Wars Rebels.
The event will feature a scavenger hunt called “Seized the saga.” You can search for Star Wars photo backdrops which will piece together to form a one of a kind event keepsake.
Here are some other special activities available during the exclusive ticketed event:
- Rebel Base Activities – The Rebel Base will serve as the event hub with multiple events, hosted shows, Star Wars dance parties and more taking place in the center of the park.
- Can’t miss Star Wars photo ops – Don your Star Wars finest (see costume guidelines here) and enjoy iconic Star Wars backdrops, including the debut appearance of BB-8, Han Solo cast in carbonite, Jabba the Hutt’s Palace, the Hoth Wampa Cave and more.
- Galactic Nights Stars in Cars Motorcade – This procession will welcome in Star Wars celebrities down Hollywood Blvd.
- Imperial March & March of the First Order – Get your cameras ready for the arrival of the dark side. Darth Vader will lead a battalion of stormtroopers on a dramatic march down Hollywood Blvd to the Event Stage. Captain Phasma will also lead a unit of First Order stormtroopers through the park, pausing to give a demonstration of power and strength.
- “Star Wars: A Galaxy Far, Far Away” – Watch high-energy clips of the best moments from the film saga juxtaposed with character moments on stage, featuring Chewbacca, Darth Vader, Kylo Ren and more.
- “Star Wars: A Galactic Spectacular” – The skies will come alive with the power of the Force, as the park’s popular Star Wars-themed nighttime spectacular lights up the night.
- Show Your Star Wars Spirit – Come dressed as your favorite character and celebrate 40 years of Star Wars milestones.
Additionally, there will be Star Wars themed merchandise, food, and entertainment. Plus you’ll be able to experience Star Wars Launch Bay and Star Tours – The Adventures Continue.
The event runs from 7pm to Midnight and costs $129 plus tax for adults and $124 plus tax for kids 9 and under. DVC and AP discounts are available.
With Star Wars Celebration in town, I expect this event to sell out. However, most of these experiences are available with regular park admission, so you really have to determine for yourself if this is a good value.
$129? What a ripoff. Most of those “events” are already in normal admission. Seems like all you get is the chance for older folks to wear a costum, see a parade that used to be free, and listen to some chat. Very disappointing Disney.