The entertainment lineup for the fourth ship in the Disney Cruise Line fleet, the Disney Fantasy, has been revealed. We learned earlier that a version of the Aladdin musical from California Adventure would come to the Disney Fantasy. Now we are told that a brand new stage show called ‘Wishes’ looks to take Disney ship board productions to new heights.
As an aside, did they have to name it ‘Wishes’? There’s already a Walt Disney World fireworks show by that name. I’m not that worried about them getting confused, but some differences in naming would be appreciated. Update: Apparently the show starts and ends with a tribute to the fireworks show. I guess that makes it a little more appropriate.
“Wishes” will be a 45-minute musical journey about three best friends who discover the secret to being a grown-up is staying connected to their inner child. Full-scale production numbers will cover the stage as the cast of “Wishes” performs original songs and classic Disney tunes with a contemporary twist.
The story begins as long-time best friends Kayla and Nicole along with Nicole’s twin brother Brandon visit Disneyland to celebrate their high school graduation. Each is unsure of what the future holds for them, so they make a wish to go on the “Ride of Our Lives” – the show’s original opening number.
Their wish evokes an enchanted world where a cavalcade of Disney characters – including Rapunzel, Flynn Rider, Lilo, Stitch, Mulan, Hercules, Pinocchio, Timon and Pumbaa – materialize to guide the teens through their magical journey.
Notable moments include:
- In an over-the-top musical comedy production number, the song “I’ve Got a Dream” from “Tangled” sets the scene as the Snuggly Duckling Tavern comes alive, with Rapunzel, Flynn Rider and a tavern full of hilarious thugs.
- In the “Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride” from “Lilo and Stitch” scene, the stage fills with giant windsurfing sails, kites and surf boards. The infectious music inspires Kayla as she rides a surfboard, flying atop a giant blue wave silk.
- King Louie and the Monkeys perform a high-energy swing band version of “I Wanna Be Like You” from the Jungle Book.
In the final act, the trio celebrates their journey at a graduation party as the pop tune “Breakthrough” from the Disney Channel original movie “Lemonade Mouth” keeps the revelry going.
Follow below the jump for a ‘Wishes’ Fact Sheet:
“Wishes” is Disney Cruise Line’s newest original stage show, presented exclusively aboard the Disney Fantasy. The stage spectacular combines a heartfelt story, an enchanting score and lavish production numbers. “Wishes” is a musical journey about three best friends who discover the secret to being a grown-up is staying connected to their inner child.
1,340-seat Walt Disney Theatre on the Disney Fantasy cruise ship. Featuring an elegant Art Deco style, the theater spans three decks and features orchestra and balcony seating. The state-of-the-art venue features the latest theatrical technology to help bring to life original productions and Disney stories in a whole new way.
Musical Numbers and Cast of Characters:
- “The Ride of Our Lives,” an original song featuring original characters Kayla, Brandon, Nicole and ensemble
- “Hakuna Matata” from “The Lion King” featuring Timon, Pumbaa
- “I Wanna Be Like You” from “The Jungle Book” featuring King Louie, Jungle Book Monkeys
- “Zero to Hero” from “Hercules” featuring Hercules, The Muses
- “Honor to Us All” from “Mulan” featuring Mulan, Aunts
- “Reflection” from “Mulan” featuring Mulan
- “I’ve Got a Dream” from “Tangled” featuring Rapunzel, Flynn Rider, Snugly Duckling Thugs
- “I’ve Got No Strings” from “Pinocchio” featuring Pinocchio, Marionettes
- “Kiss the Girl” from “The Little Mermaid” featuring Sebastian, Flounder, River Creatures
- “Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride” from “Lilo and Stitch” featuring Lilo, Stitch, Surfers
- “When You Wish Upon a Star” from “Pinocchio” featuring Kayla, Brandon, Nicole, Ensemble
- “Breakthrough” from “Lemonade Mouth” featuring Kayla, Brandon, Nicole, ensemble and Disney characters
“Wishes” is presented on each sailing aboard the Disney Fantasy.
“Wishes” was produced by Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment, which has received acclaim for its productions around the world, including “Finding Nemo – The Musical” (Walt Disney World Resort in Florida), “Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular” (Disneyland Resort in California), “Twice Charmed” (Disney Cruise Line) and “The Golden Mickeys” (Hong Kong Disneyland and Disney Cruise Line).
- “Wishes” features the original opening song, “The Ride of our Lives.” Music by Marco Angel, Lyrics by Mike Himelstein and Dena Diamond.
- More than 18 different puppets are used in the show, including state-of-the-art mechanical and electro-mechanical full-body puppets.
- “Wishes” features approximately 290 costume pieces, 70 wigs, 75 hats and headpieces, and 115 pairs of shoes.
- The show includes 12 Disney characters (Pumbaa, Timon, King Louie, Sebastian, Flounder, Lilo, Stitch, Mulan, Hercules, Pinocchio, Rapunzel, Flynn Rider) and 25 performers.
- Two separate confetti drops blanket the audience during the show – colorful flower confetti during “Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride” and shimmering confetti embossed with an image of the Blue Fairy at the conclusion of “When You Wish Upon a Star.”
- Each performance of “Wishes” concludes with an indoor fireworks finale