Update: Clarified which attraction opening dates were announced for later this year.
This morning I attended the annual What’s New, What’s Next presentation for Disney Parks. Among the presenters were Meg Crofton, president of Disney Parks and Resorts, Chris Beatty, lead Imagineer on the New Fantasyland project, and Alan Bruun, Creative Director of Entertainment for Disneyland.
Here’s some of what was announced already:
- Dumbo Flies Again as First Phases of the New Fantasyland Spring to Life. Fun-seekers can soar with a true Fantasyland icon or take a rollicking coaster ride with The Great Goofini as the first phases in the largest expansion in Magic Kingdom history welcome summer guests
- “The Magic, The Memories, and You!” summer show. Starting May 25, a new summertime version of “The Magic, The Memories, and You!” will project onto Cinderella Castle. The nightly spectacular – a park favorite since it debuted in early 2011 — includes hundreds of photos of Magic Kingdom guests taken that day. Also projecting onto “it’s a small world” at Disneyland Resort.
- Stay Amid Enchanting Tales as Disney’s Art of Animation Resort opens. May 31 marks the opening of Disney’s newest resort, consisting primarily of family suites immersing guests in the magical worlds of Disney and Disney-Pixar animated films. Landscape of Flavors food court will feature customized dining options at this value-category resort.
- Game-Play Away the Day (and Night). Parks Come Alive with New Interactive Experiences. This is the first summer for Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, an engaging interactive experience enabling guests – armed with magic spells in the form of special cards — to defeat the Disney Villains. Coming this June, Disney Phineas & Ferb: Agent P’s World Showcase Adventure turns Epcot guests into secret agents seeking clues that help Agent P defeat his nemesis Dr. Doofenschmirtz.
- Star Wars Weekends returns to the Walt Disney World Galaxy in May-June. With character appearances, themed parades, star conversations, behind-thescenes presentations and autograph sessions, the popular event brings a galaxy far, far away to Disney’s Hollywood Studios weekends May 18 – June 10, 2012.
And here are some of the new items that were announced this morning:
- The second Dumbo spinner, the Dumbo indoor interactive queue and Casey Jr. Splash ‘N’ Soak Station play area will open in July. Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid, Enchanted Tales with Belle in Maurice’s cottage, Be Our Guest Restaurant, Gaston’s Tavern and the Village area, and the Ariel’s Grotto meet and greet will open in time for the holidays in 2012.
- The Magic, The Memories, and you to feature new scenes from The Lion King along with The Little Mermaid. Plus the sand castle we previously posted
- concept art for Test Track looks very Tron-like.
Let us know what you think in the comments below