In honor of the 30th anniversary of the beloved Disney animated classic, “Beauty and the Beast,” The Wonderful World of Disney and ABC will present “Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration” on December 15, 2022.
About the Show
This two-hour animated and live-action blended special will pay tribute to Disney Animation’s 1992 classic “Beauty and the Beast,” and its legacy, by showcasing the fan-favorite movie, along with new memorable musical performances, taking viewers on a magical adventure through the eyes of Belle.
The special presentation includes live never-before-seen musical performances, and features brand-new sets and breathtaking costumes inspired by the classic story. Each performance is created to pay homage while also adding to the iconic story for viewers at home. Songs from the original animated classic will be performed in front of a live audience at Disney Studios.
2022 also marks the 30th anniversary of when Disney Animation’s “Beauty and the Beast” became the first animated film to be nominated for “Best Picture” at the Academy Awards®.
The film went on to win the Golden Globe® Award for “Best Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy,” while the theme song “Beauty and the Beast” won the Academy Award for “Best Original Song” in 1992.
“Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration” is produced by Done+Dusted in association with Walt Disney Television Alternative and Electric Somewhere. Executive producers are Jon M. Chu, Caitlin Foito, Hamish Hamilton, Raj Kapoor, Richard Kraft, and Katy Mullan. Hamish Hamilton will serve as director.
The cast of this special has some serious vocal and star power:
- Belle will be played by five-time GRAMMY® and Academy Award®-winning singer-songwriter H.E.R.
- Beast will be played by Tony, EMMY and four-time GRAMMY Award-nominated singer, songwriter, actor and philanthropist Josh Groban
- Gaston will be played by Tony- and GRAMMY-nominated acclaimed Broadway star Joshua Henry
- Lumière will be played by Emmy® Award-winning actor and comedian Martin Short
- Cogsworth will be played by Tony® Award winner David Alan Grier
- Le Fou will be played by “Schitt’s Creek” alum Rizwan Manji
- Mrs. Potts will be played by five-time GRAMMY Award® winner and top-selling female country pop artist Shania Twain
- Chip, Mrs. Potts’ son, will be played by “black-ish” star Leo Abelo Perry
- Maurice, Belle’s father, will be played by stage and screen actor Jon Jon Briones
The narrator for the evening will be EGOT winner, and legend of stage and screen, Rita Moreno.
When to Watch
“Beauty and the Beast: A 30th Celebration” will air on ABC on December 15, at 8pm ET/7pm CT for the east coast, and 8pm MT/7pm PT for the west coast.
It will then be available to stream December 16 on Disney+.
I do NOT like the new sets or the Beasts costume. The sets look like a middle school production made out of cardboard. The beast who used to have human characteristics, now looks like transformer who can’t move. I stopped watching. I don’t understand why you changed to be modern. It’s an old fairytale. Please keep that way.
Will Disney Studios and ABC Productions release this version of Beauty and the Beast 30th Anniversary be released on blu ray. “I loved it”
Hi Linda! The only news we were given was a release to Disney+ the day after. Disney and ABC have not said anything about a blu-ray release…but I’d love one just for the extras. If I hear of something, I will post it. =)