Walt Disney World is normally a popular Thanksgiving Weekend destination, but it will be a bit busier with the return of the ESPN Events Invitational tournament to the ESPN Wide World of Sports.
About the Event
The ESPN Events Invitational is an annual early season Division 1 men’s college basketball tournament played over Thanksgiving weekend, Thursday, Friday, and Sunday. The dates for 2022 are November 24, 25, and 27.
The tournament consists of 12 games played over the three days. Each of the 8 participating teams competes in one game per day, advancing through a bracket format. The 2 teams that remain undefeated meet in a championship match on Sunday.
The inaugural tournament was held November 2006, and has been held yearly since, except for 2020 when it was cancelled due to the pandemic.
Out of all the teams in Division 1, these are the colleges teams that made the final eight cut:
- Florida State Seminoles (Florida State University)
- Memphis Tigers (University of Memphis)
- Nebraska Cornhuskers (Univerity of Nebraska)
- Oklahoma Sooners (University of Oklahoma)
- Ole Miss Rebels (University of Mississippi)
- Seton Hall Pirates (Seton Hall University)
- Siena Saints (Siena College)
- Stanford Cardinals (Stanford University)
All of the games will be played at the State Farm Field House at the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World.
Tickets are available for all games online, and start at $65 for general admission seating.
If you can’t make it in person, all games will air live on ESPN and it’s family of networks. You can find the schedule at ESPN.com.
For tickets and more information, visit espnevents.com/espn-events-invitational/.