Disney+ has released information on a new Star Wars anthology series called “Star Wars: Visions,” which will tell its stories via Japanese anime.
The series will launch on the streamer on September 22, 2021, and what’s really cool is the episodes can all be viewed with the original Japanese voice cast or an English dub cast.
The English dub cast includes the voice talents of returning Star Wars actors and talent new to the Star Wars universe:
- The Duel: Brian Tee (Ronin), Lucy Liu (Bandit Leader), Jaden Waldman (Village Chief)
- Tatooine Rhapsody: Joseph Gordon-Levitt (Jay), Bobby Moynihan (Geezer), Temuera Morrison (Boba Fett), Shelby Young (K-344), Marc Thompson (Lan)
- The Twins: Neil Patrick Harris (Karre), Alison Brie (Am), Jonathan Lipow (B-20N)
- The Village Bride: Karen Fukuhara (F), Nichole Sakura (Haru), Christopher Sean (Asu), Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Valco), Andrew Kishino (Izuma), Stephanie Sheh (Saku)
- The Ninth Jedi: Kimiko Glenn (Kara), Andrew Kishino (Juro), Simu Liu (Zhima), Masi Oka (Ethan), Greg Chun (Roden), Neil Kaplan (Narrator), Michael Sinterniklaas (Hen Jin)
- T0-B1: Jaden Waldman (T0-B1), Kyle Chandler (Mitaka)
- The Elder: David Harbour (Tajin), Jordan Fisher (Dan), James Hong (The Elder)
- Lop & Ocho: Anna Cathcart (Lop), Hiromi Dames (Ocho), Paul Nakauchi (Yasaburo), Kyle McCarley (Imperial Officer)
- Akakiri: Henry Golding (Tsubaki), Jamie Chung (Misa), George Takei (Senshuu), Keone Young (Kamahachi), Lorraine Toussaint (Masago)
And here is the first trailer for the show, featuring the English dub cast:
Disney+ also revealed a look at the cast voicing the shorts in Japanese, which includes a multitude of that country’s veteran voice actors:
- The Duel: Masaki Terasoma (Ronin), Akeno Watanabe (Bandit Leader), Yūko Sanpei (VillageChief)
- Tatooine Rhapsody: Hiroyuki Yoshino (Jay), Kōusuke Goto (Geezer), Akio Kaneda (Boba Fett), Masayo Fujita (K-344), Anri Katsu (Lan)
- The Twins: Junya Enoki (Karre), Ryoko Shiraishi (Am), Tokuyoshi Kawashima (B-20N)
- The Village Bride: Asami Seto (F), Megumi Han (Haru), Yūma Uchida (Asu), Takaya Kamikawa(Vaan), Yoshimitsu Shimoyama (Izuma), Mariya Ise (Saku)
- The Ninth Jedi: Chinatsu Akasaki (Kara), Chō (Juro), Shinichiro Miki (Zhima), Hiromu Mineta (Ethan), Kazuya Nakai (Roden), Akio Ōtsuka, (Narrator), Daisuke Hirakawa (Hen Jin)
- T0-B1: Masako Nozawa (T0-B1), Tsutomu Isobe (Mitaka)
- The Elder: Takaya Hashi (Tajin), Kenichi Ogata (The Elder), Yuichi Nakamura (Dan)
- Lop & Ocho: Seiran Kobayashi (Lop), Risa Shimizu (Ocho), Tadahisa Fujimura (Yasaburo), Taisuke Nakano (Imperial Officer)
- Akakiri: Yū Miyazaki (Tsubaki), Lynn (Misa), Chō (Senshuu), Wataru Takagi (Kamahachi),Yukari Nozawa (Masago)
And here is the first trailer for the show, featuring the original Japanese cast, with English subtitles:
“Lucasfilm is partnering with seven of the most talented anime studios in Japan to bring their signature style and unique vision of the Star Wars galaxy to this inspired new series,” says James Waugh, executive producer and Lucasfilm Vice President, Franchise Content & Strategy, in a press release.
“Their stories showcase the full spectrum of bold storytelling found across Japanese animation; each told with a freshness and voice that expands our understanding of what a Star Wars story can be, and celebrates a galaxy that has been such an inspiration to so many visionary storytellers.”
These studios creating the nine short stories are:
- Kamikaze Douga – “The Duel”
- Geno Studio (Twin Engine) – “Lop and Ochō”
- Studio Colorido (Twin Engine) – “Tatooine Rhapsody”
- TRIGGER – “The Twins” and “The Elder”
- Kinema Citrus – “The Village Bride”
- Science Saru – “Akakiri” and “T0-B1”
- Production I.G. – “The Ninth Jedi”
I’m really excited to see this, and I love that they’re giving viewers the choice of original Japanese with English subtitles, or an English dub. I think this will be a great addition to the Star Wars storytelling universe.
Will you watch it?