Le Cellier in the Canadian pavilion at Walt Disney World’s EPCOT features an out of this world Cheddar Cheese Soup. Guests love it so much, you can now find it at the Canada food booth at the Food and Wine Festival and the Festival of the Holidays as well.
With everyone spending more time at home and away from the parks than they might like at the moment, we’re looking for these special magical treats you can make at home.
Today we’re diving deep into the vault for this recipe that Disney shared with us back in 2008. Master Chef Brian Piasecki walks us through the recipe in this video:
The cheddar cheese soup made with Moosehead Beer, has been on the menu of Le Cellier since the restaurant opened in 1982!
Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup Recipe
1/2 lb Smoked Bacon, medium dice
2 Tbsp. Butter, unsalted
1 Medium Red Onion, medium dice
3 ribs Celery, medium dice
1 cup All purpose Flour
3 cups Chicken Stock, fresh made or low sodium
4 cups Whole milk
12 oz. White Cheddar,
3 dashes Tabasco
3 dashes Worcestershire
4 fl. oz. Pale Ale, like Moosehead, room temperature
Black Pepper, fresh ground
1 Tbsp. Chives, thinly sliced for garnish
2 Tbsp. Smoked Bacon, rendered crisp, fat removed
- Heat milk in a saucepan and bring to a simmer
- In a non-reactive heavy-bottomed soup pot, such as a dutch oven, render bacon over medium heat until wilted but not browned.
- Add onions, celery, and carrots then cook until the onion is translucent and bacon has crisped.
- Slowly add in flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Stir in stock, a little at a time, blending well
- Add warmed milk and stir until there are no lumps
- Return to a simmer, then cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, Tabasco, Worcestershire and ale.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with your favorite pretzel bread and top with chopped chives.
If you’ve tried making this classic EPCOT recipe at home let us know how it turned out in the comments below!