Disney fans are usually divided into two camps – Popcorn or Churro. But these unprecedented times unite us all in the need to make a little of the magic ourselves in the comfort of our home homes.
To that end, the talented chefs at Disney’s parks have provided fans a Disney Churro Bites recipe that you can make at home and perhaps be reminded just for a while of all the fun that awaits when the parks and resorts open back up to guests.
We love churros and can’t resist them whenever we visit the parks. One of our favorites were the Lightsaber Churros available at the Star Wars Galactic Nights events. We couldn’t decide between the light or dark side of The Force and had to get both.
For a slightly upscale version of the iconic Disney treat, visit the new Three Bridges Bar & Grill set in the middle of the lack at Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort. Served with classic Spanish sides of hot chocolate and dipped in a savory peppery coating, it’s a churro you’ll never forget.
The Churro Bites recipe is inspired by the snack that is found in all Disney parks around the globe, when they’re open at least. It will serve four people and features ingredients you likely already have at home.
- 1 cup water
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
- Combine water, butter, salt, and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon in 1 ½-quart saucepan over medium heat. Bring pot to rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add flour and stir vigorously until mix forms a ball. Remove from heat and let rest for 5-7 min.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and stir until combined. Set aside.
- Heat oil in medium skillet or 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat or until temperature reaches 350˚.
- Spoon dough into piping bag fitted with large star tip. Pipe 1-inch strip of dough over saucepan, cut with knife, and drop into hot oil. Repeat until churro bites fill saucepan with room to fry.
- Fry churro bites until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon or mesh spider strainer.
- Drain churro bites on paper towel.
- Mix sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon in medium bowl. Toss in churro bites until coated. Place on serving plate and serve with favorite dipping sauce.
If you’re a visual learner, Disney has provided a video you can follow along:
If you’re looking for a print-at-home version of the Disney Churro Bites recipe, download the PDF here.
Looks simple enough to make with the entire family. Be sure to send us photos of your own churro bites if you make this recipe at home.