This weekend a rumor that the Walt Disney Company Board of Directors approved a $3 billion makeover for Disney’s Hollywood Studios captured fan’s imaginations. I’m trying to get some confirmation if the rumor is true or not. If it is, I have a few suggestions on what sort of attractions Disney could bring to DHS to help it come out of the shadows of Disney’s other parks.
1) Tron Lightcycle coaster from Shanghai Disneyland. Back a few years ago when Disney’s Imagineers pitched an expansion of Star Wars at DHS, they included a racing roller coaster based on the speeder bikes from the race through the forests of Endor. That idea evolved to become the Tron Lightcycle coaster that will be opening with Shanghai Disneyland. It would be terrific if Disney’s Imagineers couldfigure out something from the new movies (like, I don’t know, an x-Wing) and give us that dueling coaster here in Orlando too!
2) Trackless Ratatouille from Walt Disney Studios at Paris Disneyland (just bring Ratatouille to DHS). Yes, it would seem to make sense to build this in EPCOT’s France pavilion. Truth be told, I’d be perfectly happy with that, but I think people are already upset enough with Norway’s pavilion being taken over by a cartoon, so add it to Pixar-land at DHS.
3) Tangled Musical — yes, it hasn’t even opened on the Disney cruise line yet, but it should have come to DHS over a year ago, don’t make us wait longer Disney, even if you have to build a new theater (which, it turns out, you are doing).
4) Kiddie attractions. A Toy Story themed playland of kid friendly attractions seems to be one of the ‘confirmed’ (as much as a rumor can be confirmed) elements of the revised DHS. More stuff for families with young kids to do is the biggest area of immediate need for the park. The good news is Disney has good experience building these between Disney California Adventure, Hong Kong Disneyland and Walt Disney Studios in Paris. Pick the best from each park and bring it to DHS ASAP.
5) Parkwide transportation. Whether it’s the form of Redcar Trolleys or something different, an expanded DHS would be greatly served by a leisurely ride that takes you from one side of the park to the other without all the walking.
Bonus idea: Universal Orlando took the idea of transportation a step further by building a ‘railroad’ attraction that connected two parks. This would be a great opportunity for Disney to figure out a slightly faster way to connect EPCOT and DHS than the super slow friendship boats.
What types of attractions from Disney’s other parks would you like to see cloned at the upgraded Disney’s Hollywood Studios?