Well, besides being owned by the same company.
Some people have picked up on this trend in Marvel’s Phase 2 movies of characters getting their arms cut off and, of course, that’s a trend in the Star Wars films as well.
Well, it turns out, there’s a connection between the two.
Kevin Fiege sat down with Cinemablend recently and admitted that they got their inspiration from Star Wars.
“So is this a spoiler for Ant-Man… not really. I’m obsessed with Star Wars. Who’s not? I’m 40 years old. I’m in the movie business. I went to USC. So I’m obsessed with Star Wars – and it didn’t start out as intentional, but it became intentional, including that beat that you referenced. It sort of happens in every Star Wars movie, but I was sort of looking at it, ‘Okay, is Phase Two our Empire Strikes Back?’ Not really, but tonally things are a little different. Somebody gets their arm cut off in every Phase Two movie. Every single one.”
So, let’s do a head count:
- In Iron Man 3, Tony cut off Killian’s hand.
- In Thor: The Dark World, Loki took off Thor’s arm, though that was just one of Loki’s tricks.
- In Captain America: Winter Soldier, we see how Bucky lost his arm.
- In Guardians of the Galaxy, Gamora cuts off both of Groot’s arms.
- In Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ulysses Klaw loses his arm. Eventually, though, it will be replaced with…well, a claw, because subtlety and supervillians don’t usually go together.
- Even Season 2 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. gets in on the action.
So, true believers, who’s losing an arm in Ant-Man?