With the hit movie Maleficent, Disney took on a big challenge, not only would the attempt to retell the story of Sleeping Beauty, one of Walt Disney’s animated classics, but they’d be doing it in live-action. However, as soon as everyone heard that Angelina Jolie would be in the title role, I think people knew the project would turn out fine.
It turned out better than fine. Although the re-telling of the original story may have left a few threads un-followed, there were also enough twists and powerful lessons that you feel like you got your money’s worth out of the film.
Part of what makes the film work is its special-effects. While the scope of a few shots is definitely lessened when translated to the small screen, the most effective special effect is Jolie making the character of Maleficent come to life.
As for extras, here’s the lineup:
- From Fairy Tale to Feature Film – Reimagining Maleficent for a new generation
- Building An Epic Battle – Creating the clash between Maleficent and King Henry’s Forces
- Classic Couture – Examine Maleficent’s spellbinding head wraps and jewelry.
- Maleficent Revealed – Explore the layers of extraordinary special effects.
- Aurora: Becoming A Beauty – Elle Fanning reveals her lifelong love of Disney’s original animated classic.
“Stefan In King’s Chamber”
“Diaval asks about the Curse”
“Pixies Seek Asylum”
While the subject matter was interesting, the extras themselves are a bit on the short side. I would still like to know more. These were essentially the “behind the scenes clips” used to promote the film online. I’m also sad that that there is no audio commentary from the director or even the cast.
That said, Maleficent is definitely a movie any Disney fan would want to add to their collection. It’s available now on Blu-ray Combo Pack, Digital HD, Disney Movies Anywhere and On-Demand platforms. You’ll notice that there is no 3D option, which is odd, since the movie was available in 3D in the theaters.