Looking for something different that’s fun for kids and extra-special for grownups? Guests visiting Disney World from March 6th through May 19th can check out Epcot’s Flower and Garden Festival. First-time visitors with young children often overlook Epcot, assuming that it’s mainly for older kids, but there’s so much hands-on learning and fun at the Festival that a visit is well worth your time. In addition to flower towers, playgrounds, over 100 topiary, 240 floating mini-gardens, and countless beds with hundreds of blooms, this years festival offers a few surprises:
- For the first time, Future World and the World Showcase will have illuminated gardens full of sparkly lights each night. I think this is my favorite new addition.
- There will be a new circus-like play area based on the film Oz: The Great and Powerful, which is being released on March 8, 2013. The play area will feature various play systems that will cultivate your kids’ imagination while they exercise, red and white circus tents, and plants that will recall the movie.
- The Garden Marketplace will feature drinks like Hot Sun Tomato Wine from a local Florida winery and everyone’s favorite Dole Whip, this time with spiced rum. There will also be non-alcoholic beverages like Frozen Desert Violet Lemonade.
- Kids will love the all the topiary featuring their favorite characters, including Phineas and Ferb, Mike and Sully, and Tinkerbell and Friends.
- A Radiator Springs interactive raceway located on the Test Track walkway will have Lightening McQueen and Mater in attendance.
As always, there will be exhibits every Friday by HGTV, showcasing various outdoor home improvement projects. In addition, you’ll want to check the schedule for other classes and seminars taking place throughout the 75-day festival.
There’s more than gardening on tap as well. Music lovers will enjoy the Flower Power concert series, which showcases bands from the 1970s and 80s:
March 8-10: Micky Dolenz
March 15-17: Chubby Checker & The Wildcats
March 22-24: The Guess Who
March 29-31: Nelson
April 5-7: The Turtles featuring Flo & Eddie
April 12-14: Paul Revere & the Raiders
April 19-21: The Village People (new!)
April 26-28: The Orchestra, Featuring Former Members of ELO and ELO II
May 3-5: Tommy Roe (new!)
May 10-12: Herman’s Hermits starring Peter Noone
May 17-19: Starship starring Mickey Thomas.
The Village People? Are you kidding me? I think I know when I’m going to Flower and Garden this year. What about you? Will you be visiting?