The Avengers will be here soon and the world will be safe once more (where “here” equals a theater near you, and “safe” equals relatively). Still, it’s a nice idea.
With that said, let’s jump right into my review of The Avengers!
WARNING: Thar be SPOILERS ahead!
The Avengers sports an ensemble cast (you know who they are) and a fairly overdone plot line, but don’t let that stop you. Yes, we’ve all seen portals before, and there is a scene featuring Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.) which is more than reminiscent of The Iron Giant (minus the “Superman” line), yet it remains funny, well-written, action-packed and worth the price of admission (yes, I would have said that even if I had paid to see it).
The plot focuses on Loki (Tom Hiddleston) and a mercenary army of really ugly aliens (extras) trying to take over the Earth. What? It could happen. S.H.I.E.L.D. plays a part in bringing Loki to New Mexico, the land of enchantment (clever!), so Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) breaks out the ol’ Avengers Initiative and hilarity ensues.
Also, lots and lots of kicking butt (only some of which is too CGIish).
Director Joss Whedon* runs a tight ship full of witty banter and surprisingly complex characters. It’s not that I haven’t come to expect that sort of detail from Whedon, but with such a big cast full of big names I was pleasantly surprised that he was able to make it happen in The Avengers.
The violence in The Avengers is consistent with the other Marvel movies released in the past few years (Iron Man, Iron Man 2: Electric Boogaloo, Captain America, Thor, Hulk), and is probably okay for most children around age 10, give or take a couple of years based on your actual kid.
There really are some great lines.
The Avengers is a very enjoyable movie, and should do wonders at the box office.
Yes, there is a clip after the first set of credits.
Will you see The Avengers on opening weekend?
- For more super Avengers action, “like” Marvel’s The Avengers on Facebook (also, The Disney Blog!) and follow Marvel’s The Avengers on Twitter (us again!).
- Marvel’s The Avengers opens on Friday, May 4. If you need something to hold you over consider our Avengers giveaway featuring all kinds of super stuff.
- If you are in SoCal, enter to win two weekend passes to the Catalina Film Festival, featuring a screening of The Avengers and a presentation by Stan Lee.
- I attended the premiere of The Avengers for the purposes of writing a review. The opinions stated are my own.
- *See awesome Joss Whedon photos from the set of The Avengers
As I got the opportunity to be an extra in the film, heck yeah, I’ll be seeing it! :)