Earlier this month, AMC Theaters held a live online chat for Guardians of the Galaxy that featured director James Gunn, Marvel’s Kevin Feige, and Star-Lord himself, Chris Pratt.
AMC’s John Campea moderated the event, which included questions submitted by fans, and the trio offered up quite a bit of information. Well, without actually giving anything away.
Some of the more interesting tidbits gleaned from this Q&A:
- James Gunn describes this movie as being in the Marvel flavor, but having a lot of old-school space opera about it.
- Gunn also admits he didn’t originally want to see Chris Pratt audition for the lead role of Peter “Star-Lord” Quill, having an image of the actor from his role in TV’s “Parks and Recreation.” But Gunn’s assistant snuck Pratt in an audition and within 20 seconds, Gunn said he just knew Pratt was the one…though he needed to work on his physique.
- It took 7 months for Pratt to get into that ripped Star-Lord-worthy body. The actor said it was hard work, but he grew up as a wrestler and was active in sports, so he actually likes the mindlessness of working out. Then he admitted he was happy he could eat again, now that filming was done.
- Kevin Feige said that while Guardians couldn’t be more distant in geography to the other films, as it takes place on the other side of the galaxy, there are a handful of characters in this movie who will carry through to other future Marvel films as threats to Earth.
- When asked why audiences will love Guardians of the Galaxy, Feige stated, “With every movie that we make, we want them to be very unique and very different experiences. … With this one, we really set out to say, ‘We want to do something original.’ I do think in a year when there’s lots of things seeming to pop up again and again, I think people are ready for something new and something fun.”
There are so many other interesting tidbits about Guardians of the Galaxy revealed during the Q&A, so why don’t you watch it for yourself:
Marvel’s Guardians of the Galaxy is due in theaters August 1, 2014.