We had heard that Adventures by Disney had renewed their contract with AMA Waterways for European river cruises and were waiting with anticipation to see exactly which itineraries would be offered. Those cruises and a slew of other Adventures by Disney vacations in 2020 just became available.
The new adventures include a brand-new vacation through southern France on the Rhone River. The guided group travel leader will also launch new Short Escape itineraries in Paris, Amsterdam and Budapest, Hungary, which can be booked as pre- or post-cruise stays or as standalone trips.
What is Adventures by Disney?
- Adventures by Disney offers all-inclusive vacations that allow guests to explore destinations around the world in a way that’s active, immersive and hassle free.
- Your adventure will be lead by Disney-trained Adventure Guides on each trip, engaging activities, VIP experiences and personal touches throughout.
- Most adventures are family-friendly, but they also offer itineraries that are reserved exclusively for adults.
- On ground itineraries, your luggage travels ahead of you and is waiting in your hotel room when you arrive after your day of planned activities or on your own exploring.
New Rhone River Sailings Through Southern France
During the new eight-day, seven-night Rhone River itinerary onboard AmaCello, Adventures by Disney guests will sail through southern France, including the renowned region of Provence, for the first time. Engaging, authentic experiences are the highlight of every port-of-call — stops include Lyon, Tournon, Avignon and Arles — bringing the rich history, charming culture, distinguished art and distinctive cuisine of this diverse region to life.
- Active sightseeing adventures include exploring enchanting towns and villages by bike; kayaking beneath the famous 2,000-year-old Roman aqueduct, Pont du Gard; and taking in the magnificent scenery of the Gorges du Doux by steam train and rail bike.
- Interactive culinary experiences celebrate the region’s local flavors and world-famous cuisine. The menu of activities includes a private truffle-hunting experience and tasting; cheese and jam making at a goat farm; and an immersive tasting experience at a family- owned olive oil farm near Les Baux-de-Provence. Guests will also enjoy curated tastings featuring Rhone Valley wines, chocolate and more.
- Engaging art-focused excursions draw Adventurers into a world of color and imagination. Among the highlights are a walking tour of Roussillon’s colorful Ochre Trail followed by a painting class; a demonstration in the art of silk-weaving in Lyon; and a visit to the Carrieres de Lumieres, a former limestone quarry where famous impressionistic paintings come to life.
- Immersive historical tours are bolstered by signature Disney storytelling as guests step into the stories of the Palais des Papes, a breathtaking palace that was once the seat of papal power; the Roman ruins of Lyon and Nimes; the historic hilltop villages of Gordes and Les Baux-de-Provence; and the 12th-century Abbaye de Senanque, where tales of medieval Cistercian monks unfold.
Adventures by Disney will embark on six Rhone River cruises in 2020, comprised of three family departures and three dates reserved for adults. Each cruise features the expert services of up to six Disney-trained Adventure Guides who specialize in creating unforgettable vacation experiences for guests of all ages.
New Short Escape Itineraries in Paris, Amsterdam and Budapest
Beginning in 2020, Adventures by Disney guests can enhance their European river cruise vacations with three-day, two-night stays in Paris, Amsterdam and Budapest. These guided group itineraries are designed to maximize vacation time, highlighting each city’s most well- known attractions while also uncovering unexpected hidden gems. Two dedicated Adventure Guides lead guests in enriching, exciting activities the whole family can enjoy.
The Paris Short Escape can be added to Seine and Rhone sailings to round-out vacations in northern or southern France. In Paris, not only will guests come face-to-face with one of the world’s most iconic landmarks, the Eiffel Tower, but they’ll also enjoy spectacular views of the “City of Lights” from their seats at dinner on the structure’s first floor. Other activities include a private walking culinary tour and a bucket-list visit to the Louvre Museum, which features a local expert guide and a special art detective activity for Junior Adventurers.
The Amsterdam Short Escape can be added as a post-cruise stay following Rhine River sailings to complete the cruise’s four-country journey. This itinerary is comprised of a number of hands- on activities, like a painting workshop following a visit to the Van Gogh Museum and a tile glazing activity at an earthenware factory. Adventurers will also visit quintessential Dutch windmills in Kinderdijk, embark on a canal cruise and taste their way through the trendy Jordaan neighborhood.
The Budapest Short Escape can be added to Danube River sailings as the perfect land complement to the Central European tour by water. The itinerary combines enriching cultural excursions — guests will indulge in homestyle Hungarian cuisine at a historic bistro, ride in a tuk-tuk (motorized rickshaw) and revel in a performance at the Budapest Opera House — with visits to the city’s must-see locales, such as Buda Castle, Fisherman’s Bastion and Matthias Church.
Adventures by Disney also has special cruises aboard Disney Cruise Line ships that are wonderful upgrade options for regular Disney Cruise guests. Adventures by Disney Short Escapes can be booked as standalone getaways or as add-ons to other vacation plans.
Bookings for 2020 river cruise vacations open to the public on Jan. 31, 2019. To learn more, contact Stacey Frost. She’s not just my wife, but a huge Disney fan like me and often helps cover events for me. She’s leveraging out expertise in Disney travel to offer complimentary Disney travel booking for Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney and other destinations, including other cruise lines. Your use of this service helps support The Disney Blog. So we thank you in advance.
If you would like more information on booking a river cruise or any Adventures by Disney vacation, please send an email to Pixie Vacations authorized Disney travel agent Stacey Frost ([email protected]), call (407) 454-1477 or fill out this form for complimentary travel planning. Your use of this free service to book your travel will help support The Disney Blog. Thank you.