The Lunar New Year celebration at Disney California Adventure is bigger-than-ever this year as the year of the Rooster is celebrated over 17 days ending on Sunday Feb 5th. Mickey, Minnie, Mulan, and Mushu join special performers, fun-filled activities, and special food booths, as part of the celebration.
Here were some of the highlights from the event:
Guests who want to celebrate Lunar New Year will also enjoy the new, six-minute feature called “Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration” presented before “World of Color” at Disney California Adventure Park. The heartwarming nighttime water show follows the journey of a Little Lantern returning home for the annual celebration, and features appearances by Mulan and Mushu.
Lunar New Year, traditionally celebrated within Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, commemorates the moment when both the sun and the moon begin their journey for another year. Highlights of the Lunar New Year celebration at Disney California Adventure include:
- Three locations within the Lunar New Year Marketplace offering foods inspired by the cultures of China (Pork Soup Dumplings, Turnip Cakes with Spicy Sausage), Korea (Kimchi Fried Rice, Steamed Vegetable Dumpling) and Vietnam (Sticky Rice Cake with Pork, Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewer)
- Additional Lunar New Year menu items at Paradise Garden Grill, including Vegetable Japchae, Kalbi Beef Short Ribs with Steamed Rice, Whole Crispy Tilapia with Citrus Chile Vinaigrette, Beef Pho Noodle Soup, Mango Pudding and Cassava Coconut Cake.
- Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Chip ‘n Dale, Mulan and Mushu, dressed in their Lunar New Year attire, will welcome guests to a beautiful photo location with a Lunar New Year-themed setting and Happy Lunar New Year banners in English, Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese.
- Live performances by an array of authentic performers, including Chinese concert musician Jie Ma performing on the traditional pipa string instrument, and Vietnamese concert guitarist, composer and teacher Dat Nguyen.
- The Acrobats of China perform an exciting mix of traditional and classic Chinese dance with human performance art including riveting feats of strength, grace and balance. This award-winning troupe showcases a cultural art form that has been thrilling audiences for more than 2,500 years.
- “Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession” – Mulan and her dragon friend Mushu welcome the Year of the Rooster with a colorful and exciting procession of beautiful Chinese umbrella dancers and other delightful performers who arrive to music from Disney’s beloved animated film “Mulan.”
- Lucky Wishing Wall, where guests may add their own wishes for a wonderful future
- Lunar New Year décor, including beautiful ornamental lanterns and banners wishing guests a Happy Lunar New Year in English, Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese
- Lunar New Year commemorative merchandise, including a specially designed t-shirt, pin,decorative trinket box and traditional red envelopes for gift-giving.
For a limited time only, Disneyland Resort guests may celebrate the tradition, sights, sounds and tastes of Lunar New Year with a touch of Disney magic, only at Disney California Adventure.