For east cost Disney fans who can’t make it to the big Anaheim D23 Expo, the fan club throws us a bone with the Destination D event held over a weekend at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. This year’s event will focus on adventure from Walt Disney’s groundbreaking True-Life Adventures to the Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean to the new planet of Pandora. Destination D will look at the past, present, and future of adventure at Disney.
Presenters and panelists include Disney Legends Marty Sklar and Tony Baxter; Walt Disney Imagineers Joe Rohde, Chris Merritt, Jason Grandt, and Wyatt Winter; producer Don Hahn (The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast); and Walt Disney Archives Director Becky Cline—plus more to be announced.
Mickey’s of Glendale, the famed Walt Disney Imagineering store, returns with a pop-up shop at the event for attendees, featuring a selection of exclusive Walt Disney Imagineering merchandise as well as limited-edition pins, apparel, and collectibles themed to the event.
Highlights of D23 Destination D: Amazing Adventures will include:
- New Walt Disney World Adventures: From Soarin’ Around the World to Rivers of Light—Get an insider’s glimpse into the latest experiences across Walt Disney World Resort, as Disney Imagineers provide a behind-the-scenes look at new and upcoming entertainment.
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom: Evolving a New Species of Theme Park—Explore the origins and incredible evolution of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, from early concepts to new experiences to be discovered at the park.
- Magic Journeys: 45 Years of Walt Disney World Adventures—Celebrate the 45th anniversary of Walt Disney World Resort with a nostalgic journey through some of the Vacation Kingdom’s most unique and fondly remembered adventures!
- A Look Back at Walt Disney’s True-Life Adventures—Join Disney historians on an expedition through the landmark True-Life Adventure series, which earned the Disney Studio eight Academy Awards®!
- The Art and Adventures of Marc Davis—Discover the adventurous artwork of artist, animator, and Disney Legend Marc Davis with Walt Disney Imagineering Senior Production Designer Chris Merritt, who is authoring a new book on the Disney Legend.
The event takes place November 19 and 20, 2016. Tickets go on sale April 21, 2016, and are $190 each for D23 Gold and Gold Family Members. Tickets are also available to D23 General Members for $250 per ticket. All guests will receive a special gift created exclusively for the event, and attendees are guaranteed seats at all panels and presentations. A limited number of Wilderness Explorer VIP tickets will be available, which includes early shopping, an exclusive evening experience on November 18, reserved seating for all presentations, a special gift bag, unique collectibles, and more. As with all events at Disney, lineup is subject to change.
I’ve never found Destination D from D23 a good enough value to attend, but others report that they enjoy a lot of the event. If you’ve been in the past, what are your recommendations for attendees this year?