Marvel’s Runaways is a new show from Marvel Television that will be coming directly to streaming service Hulu. The first cast photo was just shared with the press and we’ve got it here to share with you.
The series is based on the groundbreaking comic book series that follows the story of six diverse teenagers who overcome their differences to unite a against a common foe – their villainous parents. It’s a coming of age story for a new generation of Marvel fans. Like The Breakfast Club, but with super-heroes.
The series is created by the team behind “The O.C.” and “Gossip Girl,” Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage. They will both produce and co-write the show along with Marvel’s Jeph Loeb and Jim Chory.
The cast includes:
- Rhenzy Feliz (“Teen Wolf,” “Casual”) as Alex Wilder is a loud-and-proud nerd. Admittedly a bit of a loner, Alex spends much of his free-time playing video games, but deep down, what he wants most is to reunite his childhood group of friends.
- Lyrica Okano (“The Affair,” “Unforgettable”) as Nico Minoru–tough, intelligent, and independent–embodies teenage angst. A budding “Wiccan,” Nico’s carefully crafted goth appearance isolates her from her peers and family, but maybe what she really needs is someone to talk to.
- Virginia Gardner (“Goat,” “Little Bitches”) as Karolina Dean, model-perfect exterior with a lot going on behind her professionally whitened smile, is burdened by the lofty expectations and responsibilities put upon her by her parents. Underneath her veneer of privilege and perfection, Karolina is experiencing a newfound eagerness to explore her identity and pursue her own desires.
- Ariela Barer (“New Girl,” “One Day at a Time”) as Gert Yorkes is a purple-haired, bespectacled, contemporary riot grrrl. Never passing up a moment to stand on a soapbox, Gert sometimes wields her persona as a brash social justice warrior to mask her true feelings.
- Gregg Sulkin (“Faking It,” “Don’t Hang Up,” “Anti Social”) as Chase Stein is a lacrosse-playing, high school heartthrob. While many write him off as a dumb jock, Chase exhibits flashes of untapped brilliance in engineering, not unlike his wildly successful father’s.
- Allegra Acosta (“100 Things to do Before High School,” “Just Add Magic”) as Molly Hernandez, the youngest and most innocent member of her friend group, is known for her peppy positivity and a deep yearning to belong.
In The Pride are:
- Ryan Sands as Geoffrey Wilder and Angel Parker as Catherine Wilder. Together they are Alex’s parents
- Brittany Ishibashi as Tina Minoru and James Yaegashi as Robert Minoru. They are Nico’s controlling parents.
- I’m excited to see Kevin Weisman cast as Dale Yorks. Brigid Brannagh is Stacey Yorks. As Gert’s parents they are a pair of bioengineers.
- Annie Wersching plays Leslie Dean and Kip Pardue is Frank Dean. Frank is a struggling actor and former teen star (life imitating art?)
- James Martsters (a genius in these roles) is Victor Stein and Ever Carradine is Janet Stein. Victor is an engineering genius.
Look for the first episodes to drop in 2018. Until then, I suggest picking up a copy of the paperback collection from 2014 and diving in to their world. You’ll save up to 33% and your purchase on Amazon will help support The Disney Blog.