Zootopia, one of two films from Walt Disney Animation Studios in 2016, went wild at the 44th annual Annie Awards last night where it took the top honor as Best Animated Feature. Zootopia also received an Annies trophy for Outstanding Storyboarding – Dean Wellins; Outstanding Character Design – Cory Loftis; Outstanding Voice Acting – Jason Bateman as Nick Wilde; Outstanding Writing – Jared Bush & Phil Johnston; and Best Directing – Byron Howard & Rich Moore. Rich congratulations are deserved for everyone involved in the project.
Other Disney projects to win were:
- Best Animated Short Subject – Piper (Pixar Animation Studios)
- Character Animation in a Live Action Production – The Jungle Book (Walt Disney Pictures).
- Animated Effects in an Animated Prodution – Moana –
Walt Disney Animation Studios – Head of Effects Animation: Marlon West, Effects Lead: Erin V. Ramos, Effects Lead: Blair Pierpont, Foundation Effects Lead: Ian J. Coony
Effects Lead: John M. Kosnik
- Animated Effects in a Live Action Production – Dr. Strange – Mirror Dimension – Marvel Studios – FX Supervisor: Georg Kaltenbrunner, Digital Artist : Michael Marcuzzi, Digital Artist : Thomas Bevan, Digital Artist : Andrew Graham, Digital Artist: Jihyun Yoon
- Voice Acting in an Animated Feature Production – Moana – Walt Disney Animation Studios – Voice Actress: Auli’i Cravalho Character: Moana
- Editorial in an Animated TV/Broadcast Production – Disney Mickey Mouse – Episode: Sock Burglar – Disney Television Animation – Editor: Illya Owens
ESPN produced “Life, Animated” also won a Special Achievement Award.
“It was a big year for animation all around. We saw a huge number of projects, great diversity of subjects and styles and increasing international participation,” remarked Frank Gladstone, Annie Awards executive producer. “Animation’s positive impact on communities world-wide was evident throughout the evening. It was a great night.”
The Annie Awards were created in 1972 to honor the best work in animation. This year the awards honored overall excellence as well as individual achievement in a total of 36 categories from best feature, best feature – independent, production design, character animation, and effects animation to storyboarding, writing, music, editing and voice acting, and have often been a predictor of the annual Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.