A few weeks ago those in the know would have told you Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy” had a tough road ahead of it. It had unknown characters, an unproven lead actor, a director best known for films that are kind of out there, and was opening in an already dreary summer as far as box office goes. A Marvel film without super heroes? Who would go see it?
Turns out, just about everyone. Early estimates for the weekend show James Gunn’s space opera ringing in $94 million in space credits. That’s a new record for August openings. That’s freakin’ fantastic. The Global Box Office is now over $160 Million already. Not too shabby.
Not to throw too much water on the party, but to put it in perspective, Guardians of the Galaxy is only the 6th best opening of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Marvel’s “The Avengers” managed $207 Million with just 275 more theaters. I guess it does help to have some star power and characters the audience actually knows and cares about.
Here’s the top ten by opening weekend box office numbers
1) Marvel’s The Avengers -5/4/12 – $207M
2) Iron Man 3 – 5/3/13 – $174M
3) Iron Man 2 – 5/7/10 – $128M
4) Iron Man – 5/2/08 – $99M
5) Captain America: The Winter Soldier – 4/4/14 – $95
6) Guardians of the Galaxy – 8/1/14 – $94M
7) Thor: The Dark WOrld – 11/8/13 – $86M
8) Thor – 5/6/11 – $66M
9) captain America: The First Avenger – 7/22/11 – $65
10) The Incredible Hulk – 6/13/08 – $55M
Alas box office isn’t everything. So, how would you rate the top five films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe in terms of quality? I’ll give a shot here:
1) Guardians of the Galaxy
2) Marvel’s The Avengers
3) Iron Man 3
4) Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Add your take in the comments!