We now know why Walt Disney Imagineering rushed Imagineer Kathy Magnum out east as soon as she returned from her much deserved vacation following opening Cars Land at Disney California Adventure. She has been placed in charge of the Disney Springs transformation coming to Downtown Disney Orlando. In the video below, Magnum and Tom Staggs, Disney Parks & Resorts Chair, walk us through the first of its kind model for Disney Springs.
Definitely recommend watching this in HD with full screen selected.
Unfortunately, we weren’t allowed to get a better view or take photos, but here are a few stills from the video that illustrate how the model changes to help display the vitality Disney expects at Disney Springs. The model uses a Digital Projection system developed by Imagineering to give life to the model, even moving it from day to night. Should be a big help attracting tenants to the development formerly known as Downtown Disney.
We were also able to get a few more details about Disney Springs to look forward to:
- Once the transformation is complete, the Downtown Disney name will go away and it will become Disney Springs. However, the Anaheim version will remain Downtown Disney.
- The Disney Springs story will be that the area grew up naturally around the springs. Turn of the century architecture will back the story with southern hospitality, warmth, and nostalgia. At the center is a natural body of water and the story is that people came in and built around the spring then other neighborhoods grew up around them.
- There will be two parking garages and t1raffic patterns are being examined to make sure that getting in and out of the area is easier than it is now. However, no flyover bridge or freeway off-ramp is planned at this time.
- A few places will have that special Disney quality and flair, so while no specific announcements, they are looking at that.
- The Planet Hollywood globe will transform into something more of an Observatory. They’re talking with Robert Earl to see if they can work something out with one of his other restaurant properties.
- No plans for Pleasure Island style night clubs,, but they do want to keep the adult night time entertainment options open and they plan for there to be plenty to do when the sun goes down.
Do these new details increase your interest in Disney Springs?