The 2013 D23 Expo dates have been set (August 9th through the 11th) and that means a new crop of Disney Legends. If you don’t know, the Disney Legend award is one of the highest honors you can receive from the Disney Company for your contributions. I have been thinking, who would I want to see as a Disney Legend? I compiled a short-list of who I would like to see inducted into the Disney Legend Class of 2013.
- Stan Lee- When Disney purchases a company; they become part of the Disney family, so they have the ability to become a legend as well. This happened last year with Jim Henson and in the past, Barbara Walters was inducted via her ABC tie-ins. Now that Marvel is part of the Disney family, Stan Lee NEEDS to be a Disney legend. The Zeus of Marvel. Creator, Writer, Designer, Icon. If he is NOT a Disney Legend, I will picket outside of the Walt Disney Animation building.
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen- I can hear the groaning already, but hear me out. They starred in Full House (ABC sitcom), Two of a Kind (ABC sitcom), Mary-Kate and Ashley in Action! (ABC animated series), and So Little Time (ABC Family sitcom). Along the same lines of Anika Noni Rose, they have done stuff for Disney, but also A TON outside of Disney as well. The Olsen sisters have their own production company (Dualstar), have had 4 separate clothing lines (three still in production) and written a critically acclaimed fashion book, starred in over 30 separate movies. Oh, and don’t forget they are two of the biggest child stars ever! They need this honor gosh darn it!
- Susan Egan- If you don’t know her name by heart, her accolades will astonish you. Voice of Meg in the animated Disney film “Hercules” (I KNOW!), the original Belle in the Broadway production of “Beauty and the Beast” (Tony and Drama Desk nominations), the longest-running Sally Bowles in “Cabaret”, singing voice of Angel in “Lady and the Tramp 2”, as well as countless other CDs and Broadway roles…oh, and the voice of Lin in “Spirited Away”. That is ridiculously amazing! And deserving! She is still ever present in the Disney community and as a person who loves and is a part of the Disney Fan Community, she is the most deserving of all these names.
- Irene Bedard and Judy Kuhn- These two wonderful ladies are the speaking and singing voices of Pocahontas, respectively. Last ceremony, all the “newer” princesses were inducted (Including Ariel’s, Tiana’s, Jasmine’s, and Belle’s voice over artists). I feel that Pocahontas should be represented among that group as well. Also, can you imagine the musical number! Judy singing Colors of the Wind while Susan sings I Won’t Say I’m In Love! I would pay good money to see that!
- Ashley Brown- If you are a Disney on Broadway fan, you will know her name by heart. Ashley starred in Disney’s “On the Record”, played Belle in “Beauty and the Beast” on Broadway, and originated the role of Mary Poppins on Broadway as well. She is an amazing singer, dancer, and actress. There hasn’t been a person from Disney Theatricals represented in the Disney Legends family, and I believe Ashley should be the first to bestow that honor. Also, add her to the musical number singing “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious”!
- Jim Cummings- Has been the voice actor for over 100 separate roles including Ray in “The Princess and the Frog”, Winnie the Pooh and Tigger, Ed in “The Lion King”, Chief Powhatan in “Pocahontas”, Pete, various roles in Darkwing Duck, Adventures of the Gummi Bears, 101 Dalmatians TV series, TaleSpin…should I keep going? This man is an incredible talent who should be greatly recognized! (He could sing “Everything is Honey” in the medley too!)
Do you agree with my choices? Do you believe I left someone out? Do you think Mary-Kate and Ashley should sing this song in the medley too? Do you think my Mary-Kate and Ashley obsession is not worthy of a Disney Legend award (If you answered yes, I don’t want to hear it…)? Let me know in the comments below! Until next time…Have a Magical Day!
P.S. If you are in the St.Pete area, Susan Egan will be performing at the St.Pete College Palladium on March 22nd! If you are in town, purchase a ticket and understand why she needs to be a Disney Legend!