Although it does not get much love, particularly when compared to the volume its theme parks cousins do, the Adventures By Disney division continues to expand its particular brand of Disney magic. For 2012, they’ve announced the addition of two new destinations to its repertoire of immersive family vacations – Greece: “Greek Odyssey” and Northern France: “Esprit de France” – available to travelers in 2012. The adventure continues in Egypt with “Pyramids, Pharaohs & Ancient Treasures,” an unforgettable expedition. New for 2012, Adventures by Disney will feature distinct enhancements to its Australia, London and Paris and Galapagos Islands departures.
Since its launch six years ago, Adventures by Disney has developed a collection of tours with one goal in mind: help families experience the most sought-after and culturally stimulating destinations in the world. Led by knowledgeable Adventure Guides and authentic local experts, families unlock the wonders and stories of the world through excursions and engaging activities designed for all ages and activity levels such as pizza-making at a farm in Italy, spending the night at a German castle and playing the role of an art detective at the Louvre. With the smallest details planned in advance, it’s easy for parents to relax and immerse themselves in the most valuable experience of all – quality time with their family.
“Through our dedication to storytelling and exclusive hands-on experiences, families can get a glimpse of the history and beauty synonymous with Greece, France, Egypt and every vacation destination on our roster,” said Josh D’Amaro, Vice President, Adventures by Disney. “We are in the business of creating unforgettable, VIP hassle-free itineraries so guests can focus on discovering and exploring a new world and creating priceless vacation memories that last a lifetime.”
Adventures by Disney unveils three enhanced itineraries for 2012:
- “Discovery Down Under” Australia and Tasmania – the action-packed Australian adventure will now include a visit to the island of Tasmania featuring a Eucalyptus forest zipline experience, an introduction to traditional cuisine at Kate’s Berry Farm and Meadowbank Winery as well as a visit to the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary to meet the infamous Tasmanian Devil.
- “Grandiosos Galapagos” Galapagos Islands – Now families can spend more time discovering the flora and fauna of Darwin’s famous islands with seven nights aboard the Galapagos Explorer cruise ship. Guests will have the opportunity to swim and snorkel with sea lions and penguins and come face to face with giant tortoises.
- “Cities of Knights and Lights” London and Paris – Adventures by Disney’s classic European itinerary now features an exquisite trip to the British Countryside where guests can play British lawn games and receive royal treatment on a privately-guided tour of Windsor Castle.
Adventures by Disney presents three featured adventures for 2012:
- “Greek Odyssey” Athens, Santorini and Crete – the adventure starts in Athens where Greek mythology comes to life through moonlight storytelling at the Parthenon and sporting games at the home of the modern Olympics, Panathinaiko Stadium. Discovery continues on the volcanic island of Santorini where kids go feet-first into Greek grape stomping while adults enjoy a wine tasting at Volcan winery. After sailing the azure waters of the Aegean Sea, families travel to Crete and are immersed in mountain culture with local expert-led lessons in Tsatziki cheese making and Greek dancing.
- “Pyramids, Pharaohs & Ancient Treasures” Cairo, Aswan, Luxor, the Nile and Sharm El Sheikh – uncover an ancient world of pyramids, mummies and man-made marvels as this expedition kicks off with a camelback tour of the Great Pyramids of Giza and a Nile River cruise to Luxor. Families will be in awe of the architectural wonder of the Sphinx and experience the secrets of Tutankhamen’s tomb in the Valley of the Kings with a Junior Adventurer scavenger hunt at the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities. Activities like papyrus making, traditional cooking, and hieroglyphic writing give guests a first-hand view of life in ancient Egypt.
- “Esprit de France” Paris, Normandy and Loire Valley – perfect for families looking to experience the arts, this itinerary features a drawing activity in Monet’s Gardens, a visit to Château du Clos Lucé, the last known residence of Leonardo da Vinci, and a private dinner at the Louvre in Paris. A true taste of the French countryside, adventurers learn of the art of brandy-making on the Normandy Cider Route; enjoy a picturesque country bike ride and spend the night in an authentic Château. Guests continue the adventure with visits to Versailles, Mont Saint-Michel monastery, Omaha Beach and a viewing of the Bayeux Tapestry.
I hope to bring my family on one of these adventures some day. How about you? Do you trust Disney to bring you fun beyond the theme park gates?