Disney Movies going back into the Vault

Updated: April 2011 – Three more Disney animated classics are heading back into the vault.

The end of January marks the date many Walt Disney animation classics will be returned to the vault and no longer available to order for an indeterminate time. Usually 7-10 years.

I’m not sure this is a complete list, but it’s what I’ve got.

The Jungle Book Platinum Edition
Jungle Book 2
Sleeping Beauty Platinum Edition
101 and 102 Dalmatians, the live action versions
101 Dalmatians II: Patch’s London Adventure

You’ll still be able to buy them from stores until existing stock runs out. If you were going to pick one of the five, make sure you get Sleeping Beauty.

This entry was posted in DVD and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Disney Movies going back into the Vault

1. Greg Maletic says:

If the “time away” is really 7-10 years, that likely means they’re going away for good…at least as DVDs. It’s unlikely that DVD, or even Blu-Ray, will be viable formats 10 years from now.

2. Disney's preparing to place some videos, er DVDs, back into the vault – http://is.gd/62UjB – Sleeping Beauty, Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians II

3. Pingback: Cho Pei Chin

4. Pingback: J. D.

5. JPC says:

Is Lion King (the original) in “the vault”? I can’t find it anywhere. If so, when will it be released?

6. Pingback: Lisa Battista

7. Peter says:

You left out the original 101 Dalmatians I own all those except the sequels because the sequels really aren’t worth that much.

8. Imagine says:

Wow, guys, be sure to run out and get those copies of the Jungle Book 2 and 101 Dalmations II: Patch’s London Adventure. I just don’t know how we’ll all be able to live with those classics being in the vault.

/sarcasm

I trust that the Blu-Ray release of Sleeping Beauty will stay out of the vault, right? I mean, it’s only been out a year or something now.

9. John Frost says:

Well, some people are complete-ists

10. Imagine says:

That is true. Are the straight-to-DVD sequels considered canon?

11. MarkTwain says:

^ Not usually, because they weren’t made by Disney Animation Studios, but instead by a separate studio called the Disney Toon Studios. The only sequels made by DAS (and therefore considered canon) are The Rescuers Down Under and Fantasia 2000.

Also John, I think I saw on a commercial that the animated 101 Dalmatians is also going back into the vault. I made sure to grab a copy just in case. :-)

12. Pingback: The Disney Blog