If there is one thing Disney can be counted on it’s for releasing one or two solid films a year targeted to families. G-Force is Disney’s entry into that category this year. It’s a typical Jerry Bruckheimer movie with big effects, story that’s sometimes sacrificed for action, and aimed squarely at the family audience.
You can pick up G-Force as either an exciting Disney “Combo Pack” (a Blu-ray™ + DVD + DisneyFile Digital Copy of the movie in a single package) or on regular DVD. But the Blu-Ray combo pack is the best deal and lets you watch it the covert group of feisty furball Guinea Pigs anytime, anywhere and on a compatible format of their choice –Blu-ray player, car, PC and/or portable device. Exclusively for Blu-ray owners, there are three CGI effect bonus features that will satisfy their quest to join the rodent spy world.
The film follows a top-secret, highly trained trio of guinea pig super spies is assigned to stop a dastardly plot to take over the world in G-Force, a gorgeously rendered CGI adventure from famed producer Jerry Bruckheimer. Squad leader Darwin (voiced by Sam Rockwell) will do what it takes to guarantee the success of his team, which also includes Blaster (Tracy Morgan), an outrageous weapons expert with tons of attitude, and Juarez (Penelope Cruz), gorgeous martial arts pro. With the help of Speckles (Nicolas Cage), a star-nosed mole, and myriad other members of the animal kingdom, the G-Force tries to derail evil appliance mogul Leonard Saber’s power grab. It helps when your fly-on-the wall reconnaissance expert is, well, a fly on the wall!
When I saw it in the theater, I thought the Special Effects were very well done and it holds up at home as well. Once you’re able to suspend your disbelief about the films main conceit, you’ll quickly be absorbed into the story’s plot and action. There’s enough humor and intrigue to move the story along quickly, so the little ones won’t fade out either. Plus there are some good life lessons in there without hitting the audience over the head with it, something Disney has been known to do recently.
G-Force on DVD or Blu-Ray is a great addition to any family’s entertainment rotation.
Deluxe DVD and Blu-ray Hi-Def Bonus Features:
· Audio Commentary—with director Hoyt H. Yeatman, Jr.
· Blasters Boot Camp—Blaster (Tracy Morgan) gives viewers a high-energy, high-tech orientation into the elite world of the G-Force.
· G-Force Mastermind—Hollywood legend Jerry Bruckheimer and CG effects whiz Hoyt H. Yeatman, Jr. reveal the inspiration for this exciting adventure.
· G-Farce: Bloopers—A collection of light-hearted flubs from the set that prove to err is not only human!
· Deleted Scenes
· Three Music Videos:
o “Jump” by Flo Rida featuring Nelly Furtado
o “Ready To Rock” by Steve Rushton
o “Go G-Force”
Exclusive Blu-ray Hi-Def Bonus Features:
· Cine-Explore with Darwin, Blaster and their Creator—Darwin, Blaster and director Hoyt H. Yeatman reveal the secrets behind G-Force covert operations and the groundbreaking computer graphic work that brought this elite team of Guinea pigs to life.
· Bruckheimer Animated—A retrospective of groundbreaking computer graphic effects in the work of Jerry Bruckheimer, plus an inside peek into the top-secret creation of G-Force’s state-of-the-art visual magic.
· Access Granted: Inside the Animation Lab—Director and computer graphic master Yeatman Jr., takes viewers on an exclusive tour of the high-security facility and shows how the G-Force was animated from initial sketches to completed performances.