Movies from Disney coming to your SD card

Disney Japan and Panasonic have recently agreed to a contract for Disney feature film releases to be put on micro SD cards. Panasonic-manufactured memory cards will be released alongside new DVD releases. Users will be able to incorporate the SD cards into cell phones, car navigation systems, video cameras, and flat screen TVs; of course, Panasonic has already installed card slots in their newest devices.

Expect to pay around $50 per title (or $11 more with purchase of the DVD) in order to enable playback through the micro SD card, which boasts quality comparable to those found on iTunes downloads and DVDs. Most of the titles will not be announced until we near the release date in November, but I’m betting Pirates of the Caribbean will have a good chance of landing on someone’s phone (photo), just in time for the holiday season.

Do you think this is a benefit worth paying more for?

This entry was posted in Web/Tech and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Movies from Disney coming to your SD card

1. Tim says:

At $50 a movie, I tend to think I’d pass on the micro SD movies. Instead, I’d rather buy the 3-disc Blu-ray/DVD/Digital Copy sets Disney has been releasing lately. They’re much more affordable and allow me to watch the movies on my iPhone while I’m traveling.

2. Daniel Hollister says:

This is ridiculous. They should just let us download the video file itself and let us put it on the SD card ourselves, or our iPhones, or wherever else we want to put it. Putting a video on a card is not rocket science, nor is it worth paying $50 for.

3. JD says:

Movies on data/memory cards are the future. Now that they can put high amounts of data on tiny memory cards, we bother with scratchable discs that take too much space. $50 is a steep price for a movie, but all new technology is expensive at first. Once this goes main stream and other studios catch on, then the prices will drop. I praise Disney for being in the forefront of technology.

4. Adam Goswick says:

I don’t think this is a great idea. As Daniel said, we can put the movie on a card ourselves, and we already have DisneyFile Digital Copies to do that. This is just a little too expensive. I wrote about this on my blog at DisTech.

5. Jerry YEh says:

Yeah, but i think they’re really trying to capitalize on having people paying $11 more in exchange for convenience as to where and when you can watch your movies, even to those of us who don’t own an iphone.

6. Jensonb says:

$50? That idea is going nowhere. People will either just buy DVDs as normal, or download through services like iTunes.

7. Jerry says:

I feel like this is a campaign to capitalize on people paying an extra $11 for increased convenience, even to those of us without an iPhone.

8. Gator Chris says:

Hmmm… Higher price than a DVD *and* lower quality. I agree – this sounds like a non-starter.

SD cards are not a good distribution medium.