There are all sorts of reasons to own the latest animated film from Disney. You could be a complete-ist and need it just to round out your DVD library, you could be a fan of those lost-animal-finds-its-way-home stories, or you could be fan of John Travolta or Miley Cyrus. All valid reasons that this film is sure to please. But the number one reason to buy BOLT is heart.
All the films main characters show great heart as they grow over the course of the movie. The animation team showed great heart with behind the scenes challenges to overcome. And the Disney studios showed great heart thinking it would compete against the vampire teen idols of Twilight.
Alas, that last one was just wishful thinking. So while you may not have seen BOLT in the movie theater, all that means is you’ll be pleasantly suprised by what you have when you get it home.
You have two choices on what to bring home, either the deluxe 2-Disc DVD or the 3-Disc Blu-Ray High Def format. If you’re on the border, get the Blu-ray as it comes with a standard DVD disc so you’ll be able to watch it now even if that Blu-Ray hasn’t yet appeared under the Christmas Tree.
Ther are also a few fantastic Blu-ray only bonus features, including ‘Bolt’s Be-Awesome Mission’ an exclusive interactive game; an inspiring ‘Bolt Art Gallery’ which highlights the film’s breathtaking art and showcases the animation technique, and the film comes alive with the exciting Blu-ray only ‘BD-Live’ which allows viewers to enjoy ‘Movie Chat,’ ‘Movie Mail,’ ‘Movie Challenge’ and ‘Disney Movie Rewards.’ Both the Blu-ray and DVD releases of BOLT, include an exciting all-new short film, “Super Rhino” as BOLT’s breakout star Rhino, the hyperactive hamster, gets a chance to headline his very own hilarious adventure!
Bolt (voiced by John Travolta) is the star of the biggest show in Hollywood. The only problem is, he thinks the whole thing is real. When the super dog is accidentally shipped to New York City and separated from Penny (voiced by Miley Cyrus), his beloved co-star and owner, Bolt springs into action to find his way home. Together with his hilarious new sidekicks Rhino (voiced by Mark Walton) – Bolt’s #1 Fan – and a street-smart cat named Mittens (voiced by Susie Essman), Bolt sets off on an amazing journey where he discovers he doesn’t need super powers to be a hero.
Nominated for two Golden Globe Awards for Best Animated Feature Film and Best Original Song (“I Thought I Lost You’), BOLT features the voices of Academy Award® nominee John Travolta (nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role for Pulp Fiction, 1994 and Saturday Night Fever, 1977) as Bolt, the wonder dog and Miley Cyrus (“Hannah Montana”) as Penny, his “person.” The stellar voice cast also includes Susie Essman (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”), Mark Walton, Malcolm McDowell (“Heroes”) and James Lipton (“Inside the Actor’s Studio”). BOLT was also produced by Pixar co-founder and CGI pioneer John Lasseter (director of Toy Story, A Bug’s Life and Cars).
1-DISC DVD BONUS FEATURES
Exclusive Bonus Short
* Super Rhino – BOLT breakout star Rhino, the hyperactive hamster, gets a chance to headline his very own adventure!
2-DISC DVD BONUS FEATURES
The 2-Disc DVD includes the 1-Disc DVD Bonus Feature plus:
Music & More
* “I Thought I Lost You” Music Video featuring the movie’s stars, Miley Cyrus and John Travolta.
* In Session with John Travolta and Miley Cyrus – A behind-the-scenes look at recording Bolt’s signature song “I Thought I Lost You.”
* A New Breed of Directors: A Filmmakers’ Journey – First-time directors Chris Williams and Byron Howard take fans along as they traverse the road from concept to completion.
* Act, Speak! The Voices of Bolt – Join the voice cast in session: John Travolta (Bolt), Miley Cyrus (Penny), Susie Essman (Mittens), James Lipton (Director) and Mark Walton (Rhino).
* Creating The World of Bolt – Bolt’s painterly backgrounds have wowed audiences across the globe. The filmmakers explain how they fashioned the unique look of this CG movie.
Deleted Scenes – With optional introductions by directors Chris Williams and Byron Howard.
DisneyFile Digital Copy-Watch your DisneyFile Digital Copy on the go!
BOLT ON BLU-RAY HI-DEF
The Blu-ray Hi-Def edition of BOLT includes all the exciting bonus features on the DVD, plus the standard definition DVD, plus DisneyFile Digital Copy, plus these exclusive-to-BD features:
* Bolt’s Be-Awesome Mission – In order to defeat the Green-Eyed Man, Bolt has to find his way through three challenging levels in an exciting interactive game. Viewers can join in collecting clues, conquering ninjas and unleashing the power of the Super Bark!
* Bolt Art Gallery – Animation enthusiasts can check out the film’s early creative concepts in the Bolt Art Gallery, which contains the building blocks of a big screen blockbuster, from storyboards to character mock-ups. Gallery sections include Visual Development, Character Development, Storyboard Art and Color Script Images.
* BD-Live including Movie Chat, Movie Mail, Movie Challenge and Movie Rewards
BOLT has a suggested retail price of $29.99 (U.S.) and $35.99 (Canada) on1-Disc DVD, $32.99 (U.S.) and $40.99 (Canada) on 2-Disc DVD Set, and $39.99 (U.S.) and $49.99 (Canada) on Blu-ray.
BLU-RAY STREET DATE: March 22, 2009
DVD STREET DATE: March 24, 2009
Pricing: $29.99 (U.S.) and $35.99 (Canada) on 1-Disc DVD
$32.99 (U.S.) and $40.99 (Canada) on 2-Disc DVD
$39.99 (U.S.) and $49.99 (Canada) on Blu-ray
Feature run time: Approx. 96 minutes
Rated: USA: PG (Some mild action and peril)
Technical specifications may only apply to feature
Aspect ratio: Widescreen (1.78:1) – Enhanced for 16 x 9 Televisions
Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 Surround Sound
Languages: 1-Disc DVD English, Spanish, and French
Subtitled: English SDH, French, Spanish
2-Disc DVD English, Spanish, French
Subtitled: English, French and Spanish
3-Disc BD English, Spanish, and French
Subtitled: English, Spanish, and French