Disney has announced the release dates for the Bolt DVD and Blu-ray editions. I did say dates because for some reason the Blu-ray edition will arrive two days before the DVD version. Did they have to bake the DVDs longer in the oven?
Actually, I think their plan is to get you to buy the Blu-ray now even if you only own a DVD player as that version contains the movie, all the specials of the DVD, a digital file of the movie to watch on your computer, and the Blu-ray edition. In theory, this should get you to buy the Blu-ray player eventually.
Personally, I’m still holding out.
The full press release is below the cut.
Heroically Arriving on Blu-ray™ Two Days Early!
Coming to Disney Blu-ray + DVD + Digital File Combo Pack March 22
Also available on Disney DVD March 24
Fully awesome! For the first time ever Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment will release BOLT in high definition early as an exciting Blu-ray + DVD + Digital File combo on Sunday, March 22, 2009. Two days following, the standard DVD versions will be available on Tuesday, March 24, 2009. Plus, the DVD 2-disc Deluxe Edition and BD 3-Disc both include a special “DisneyFile” Digital Copy of the movie — enabling DVD and Blu-ray owners to receive a digital version of Walt Disney Pictures’ BOLT in their choice of iTunes or Windows Media formats for the fan on the go! BOLT is jam packed with fully awesome bonus features including “Super Rhino,” a new exclusive short film starring Bolt’s biggest fan!
Nominated for two Golden Globe Awards for Best Animated Feature Film and Best Original Song (“I Thought I Lost You’), BOLT features the voices of Academy Award® nominee John Travolta (nominated for Best Actor in a Leading Role for Pulp Fiction, 1994 and Saturday Night Fever, 1977) as Bolt, the wonder dog and Miley Cyrus (“Hannah Montana”) as Penny, his “person.” The stellar voice cast also includes Susie Essman (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”), Mark Walton, Malcolm McDowell (“Heroes”) and James Lipton (“Inside the Actor’s Studio”). BOLT was also produced by Pixar co-founder and CGI pioneer John Lasseter (director of Toy Story, A Bug’s Life and Cars).
Bolt (voiced by John Travolta) is the star of the biggest show in Hollywood. The only problem is, he thinks the whole thing is real. When the super dog is accidentally shipped to New York City and separated from Penny (voiced by Miley Cyrus), his beloved co-star and owner, Bolt springs into action to find his way home. Together with his hilarious new sidekicks Rhino (voiced by Mark Walton) – Bolt’s #1 Fan – and a street-smart cat named Mittens (voiced by Susie Essman), Bolt sets off on an amazing journey where he discovers he doesn’t need super powers to be a hero.
1-DISC DVD BONUS FEATURES
Exclusive Bonus Short
* Super Rhino – BOLT breakout star Rhino, the hyperactive hamster, gets a chance to headline his very own adventure!
2-DISC DVD BONUS FEATURES
The 2-Disc DVD includes the 1-Disc DVD Bonus Feature plus:
Music & More
* “I Thought I Lost You” Music Video featuring the movie’s stars, Miley Cyrus and John Travolta.
* In Session with John Travolta and Miley Cyrus – A behind-the-scenes look at recording Bolt’s signature song “I Thought I Lost You.”
* A New Breed of Directors: A Filmmakers’ Journey – First-time directors Chris Williams and Byron Howard take fans along as they traverse the road from concept to completion.
* Act, Speak! The Voices of Bolt – Join the voice cast in session: John Travolta (Bolt), Miley Cyrus (Penny), Susie Essman (Mittens), James Lipton (Director) and Mark Walton (Rhino).
* Creating The World of Bolt – Bolt’s painterly backgrounds have wowed audiences across the globe. The filmmakers explain how they fashioned the unique look of this CG movie.
Deleted Scenes – With optional introductions by directors Chris Williams and Byron Howard.
DisneyFile Digital Copy-Watch your DisneyFile Digital Copy on the go!
BOLT ON BLU-RAY HI-DEF
The Blu-ray Hi-Def edition of BOLT includes all the exciting bonus features on the DVD, plus the standard definition DVD, plus DisneyFile Digital Copy, plus these exclusive-to-BD features:
* Bolt’s Be-Awesome Mission – In order to defeat the Green-Eyed Man, Bolt has to find his way through three challenging levels in an exciting interactive game. Viewers can join in collecting clues, conquering ninjas and unleashing the power of the Super Bark!
* Bolt Art Gallery – Animation enthusiasts can check out the film’s early creative concepts in the Bolt Art Gallery, which contains the building blocks of a big screen blockbuster, from storyboards to character mock-ups. Gallery sections include Visual Development, Character Development, Storyboard Art and Color Script Images.
* BD-Live including Movie Chat, Movie Mail, Movie Challenge and Movie Rewards
BLU-RAY STREET DATE: March 22, 2009
DVD STREET DATE: March 24, 2009
Feature run time: Approx. 96 minutes
Rated: USA: PG (Some mild action and peril)
Technical specifications may only apply to feature
Aspect ratio: Widescreen (1.78:1) – Enhanced for 16 x 9 Televisions
Sound: Dolby Digital 5.1 and 2.0 Surround Sound
Languages: 1-Disc DVD English, Spanish, and French
Subtitled: English SDH, French, Spanish
2-Disc DVD English, Spanish, French
Subtitled: English, French and Spanish
3-Disc BD English, Spanish, and French
Subtitled: English, Spanish, and French